Sunday, June 20, 2021

Ward Girls Camp ~ Day 2

 

 Tuesday was a hiking day so we could get out of the heat for a majority of the day! Woo-hoo! At over 10,000 feet up, this was going to be a much better temperature than at the campsite. I was looking forward to getting outside and moving my body again in a hiking type of way. I brought 2 hiking sticks and shared one with my friend Heather. The road up to the top of the mountain was steep switchbacks. She did a great job managing to get us all up there safely in her sweet ride.



 

The road all the way below us. Soo far down. I'm grateful we were able to be up so high to enjoy cooler weather on what was going to be another extremely hot day.
 


 
First break was at this rock and by a stream where the girls could play, relax, and eat some snacks. A few sat up on this rock and sang camp songs.




              The weather for hiking was pretty great and so was the company.



 




 
This stream was really pretty and I'm glad we stopped at a couple different parts of it so the girls could play. Some really wanted to catch a fish which was a bit entertaining to watch.


A hiking we will go...


        
 
Really pretty views on the drive up (and back down of course) since there is only one road.

  

We got back to camp in the afternoon and the girls were able to take some time to play in the lake. We had planned to do a water balloon toss activity but most everyone wanted to get IN the water. I did not go in past my ankles.  There were fishhooks that could be accidentally stepped on and the little brother of one of the girls did end up stepping on one (different side of the lake) and had to be taken to urgent care. Whoops.

 
I don't think I showed this before but here is the area where the tents were set up. I was surprised when I first arrived to the campsite, there was a lot more shade than on I thought there would be. 
 
   

 Dinner on Tuesday night was one of my top favorites. The tomatoes were from one of the girls' garden and they tasted so freakin' delicious. I heart kabobs as one of my top favorite foods anyways and these did not disappoint. Such a good flavor and mix of meat and veggies. Then fried rice - also very delicious! Clap clap for the cooks!  Then later on ( I was way too full!) one of the girls' moms brought a cake to celebrate her daughter's birthday and one or two others happening at camp. 
 


Campfire with everyone. At campfire there was a spiritual thought, camp songs, games, etc. I feel like I was usually off doing other things or running around. I guess I am used to Camp Ritchie where they ring a big bell for flag in the morning, lunch, flag again (take down) in the evening and for campfire.  I really had to keep an eye on my watch here!
 

You may not be able to tell but in the above picture on the right, we got a crane that came to visit us that evening at camp! It's near the edge of the water. I wish it hadn't been so dark, it was so gorgeous to see a crane in real life.


I'm really loving this sunset picture that I took with my phone on Tuesday evening. The sky was pretty stunning. 
 
 


Got a cool shot on my cellphone with night mode. I dont take the opportunity to use this feature very often but when I do, I am often impressed. Goodnight to Day 2 of camping with the Young Women. Stay tuned for day 3!

No comments: