Friday, June 23, 2023

Camp Ritchie girls camp - Day 1!

  

Day 1 of girls' camp was not the sight I expected to see. I knew there was snow up in the area still and since the Woodland stake is the first stake to open camp for the summer, I guess this kind of thing can happen? But I'm not sure how often it does. I've never seen snow like this up there in the almost summertime...

But no worries with the snow, clouds, puddles...I got my items lugged up to the barracks I was assigned to stay in (no nurses' cabin this year, or so I thought..)


There are 3 of these barracks. This is the area where giant canvas tents used to sit but these little cabins have been up for a few years now. Inside, the bunks are 3 levels high! The bottom bunk is pretty tall and I unfortunately brought the wrong size air mattress (full instead of twin) so I had it folded into an L shape to try and make it work. I was able to get up on it once. But never again 😒


Camping with nature, in nature. Peep that spider in the middle photo!


Kiki made an appearance at camp! She's so photogenic it was hard to decide which photo was best so I included them both.


So did Hoote and Pandy, well, she may or may not have gotten herself into some mischief later in the week.



These pictures are taken over by the bathroom area that the girls use.


Fun to see flowers at camp



Looking towards the lodge where meals are the main focus but quite a lot happened in there the week of camp due to the weather.



Including a fire in the fireplace! I've only ever seen that maybe, *maybe* once in all my years of going to camp (I've been going since 1994 but missed a couple years due to being on an LDS mission and I am not sure what happened in 2016 but I think I missed that year as well).


From the rappelling rock area looking out over the lake. Oof. Crazy stormy sky!



Since I'm on rappelling staff, we did some inventory of the equipment until it started to get a bit rainy so then we put everything away. This cabinet look has come a long way since a tall standing plastic cabinet!


Camp views and my friend Camille and I, she was on rappelling staff as well with me again this year. She's so cool!



The lodge was decorated very nicely, as it always is, by the youth staff. The theme this year was GEMS which stood for "Gaining (an) Enteral Mindset."



Each cabin level is assigned a different color. This was for the red cabin area to sit. Sunshine envelopes (where you can leave kind words for campers or leaders) are hanging on the wall.


Dinner was SO good. French bread, spaghetti with a couple different sauces to choose from, and salad. Always salad, every day, 2 out of the 3 meals it is offered. I love the ranch dressing they provide. The Snickers salad for dessert was very yummy.

After dinner, we got ready for FHE (family-night) basically and Camille & a girl named Hannah lead everyone in a little lesson where we were all assigned to groups, given a talk to read, and recap with a poster drawing. Then we played "House On Fire" which is a dice game and pretty fun. There was no dessert so I counted dinner's dessert as the family night treat 😉


No comments: