Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Grandma's Funeral Day


The funeral was October 15th in northern CA. Tony and I drove up on the 19th and got to Woodland kind of late but we were staying with Linda and she doesn't mind so much so it all worked out nicely.  My dad and 2 of my brothers were driving from Idaho on Sunday and staying at my grandparents home in Rocklin along with my Uncle Ron.



Tony and I went to Apple Hill on Monday and I ate my apple donut on the way to Rocklin for the funeral on Tuesday morning.


It was so weird and surreal to see the casket and know that my grandma's body was in there, resting peacefully.




My dad conducted the funeral and we listened to some songs throughout the program, my dad spoke, my brother Jeff got up and said some words and I had to get up and say some words - my voice was shaky and nervous the whole time. Share some memories I had of grandma and my grandpa grabbed my hand as I walked by him back to my seat and I gave him a hug.

It is so strange to think about my grandma not physically being here on earth anymore. And someday that will be my parents. And me and Tony. And siblings and so many loved ones. Sigh. Knowing that I will see everyone again on the other side helps but it is still such a weird thing to think about that I don't let my brain really go there. And I feel for my grandpa, married almost 80 years. That's such a long time to be with someone 24/7! (besides work and other events) but you pretty much come home to that person every night and to then not have them be there...that's got to be so hard.


Then the program was over and we were headed out. Following the hearse (I dont like that word..and they called it something else but I dont remember what it was. Darn.) out of the parking lot of the funeral home and about 45 minutes or so to get to the VA cemetery in Dixon.


Memories of seeing this for years driving to and from my grandparents house and knowing that it wasn't too much further to go when we passed this marker. 


Getting close now.


And, we've arrived.





Flag at half mast - probably for grandma.


Hanging out a bit while things were gotten ready at the cemetery. Everyone kind of talked amongst themselves until we were asked to get back in our cars and follow to the outdoor area where grandma would be. I dont know all the right wording for this stuff, so I apologize. 


Tony got asked to be a pallbearer along with Jeff, Uncle Ron, Jason, Uncle Rich, my dad and I think that was it.





Some pictures from getting my grandma over to a covered place where we'd sit for a bit and then Anne got up (Jason's wife) to say some words and she did so well. I really liked what she said.


Broke my heart to see my grandpa saying his goodbyes to grandma. So sweet. So tender.

We all got a rose from one of the flower arrangements to take up and lay on the casket.


It was so strange, we could go back after 4:30pm to visit her, already buried. We did not even get to see the burial happen. What!


Our reservations were for 4pm at Cattleman's to have some dinner and so we had about an hour to kill. Everyone just hung out, Aunt Lori and her family + me and Tony went in to a Jack in the Box nearby Cattleman's to sit in the ac. She bought me a couple tacos and they got some drinks.


Time to order real food. Emotionally exhausting day.

 

The food at Cattleman's beats Jack in the Box any day though. Tony & I shared this kabob plate and it was delicious. Huge thanks to my Aunt Sharon who paid for everyone's dinner.


Time to head back to the cemetery to visit grandma. 


 Lots of beautiful flowers.


Temporary marker , headstone will take 30-45 days to get here.


 My dad got permission from grandpa to say a short prayer to dedicate the grave, to protect and watch over it. We stayed out here for maybe 20 minutes or so and then most people headed to Uncle Tom and Aunt Sharon's house for the next part of the evening.


Driving back to Woodland.


Hanging out with Jeff and Evan at my aunt and uncle's house.


A picture my dad showed me of his dad, my grandpa.
  

Just spending time together. One last picture of my grandpa before I headed back to Linda's for the night. I'm so grateful I got to spend time seeing family I don't get to see as often as I would like, even though it was under sad circumstances. I appreciate everyone who took the time to come, so important to get together and love one another.

No comments: