Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ragnar Volunteers - Exchange 19

Quite awhile ago my friend Ashley posted on FB asking for any friends who might want to volunteer for an upcoming Ragnar race here in Utah. I thought sure, why not? and told her Tony & I would help out. The more volunteers the less money the runners have to pay I think. As the months went on I found out that the Salina Hot Air Balloon festival was the same weekend. This made for a busy time! Luckily we were able to sign up for a shift Thursday evening out in Coalville - about 45 min away from where we live. Here are some pictures from that evening...

The drive up sure was pretty!




Working at Exchange 19

We were in charge of parking , which Tony worked with another guy on, and then me and another girl worked on getting the times and numbers of the runners coming through. At first it was easy because it was slow...not a lot of runners coming...




The first runner is here!


Sweet pic I took, might want to click to make it bigger



Here comes a runner! It got wayy busy after this

Crazy outfit - silver glitter skirt with shiny turquoise nylons


Crazy outfits!

I wish I had taken more pictures that would have turned out. So many people were wearing creative stuff as well as decorating their vans pretty cool. There was even a tardis! (Dr. Who)

Crazy parking. Sometimes vehicles would start backing out at the same time and I thought for sure they would hit each other but they never did. Since we were an exchange - where runners would finish their miles and someone would take a turn after them - there was a lot of traffic. There was a cop posted nearby down the road to make sure people stayed safe.

Our shift was 730-11:30, we arrived about 7pm to our checkpoint. The people who were supposed to show up to take our place after us got lost or something ( I dont blame them...we were not sure where to go either ) but that meant we had to stay until about 12:30. Then make the long drive home. These are our tired faces. It was exhausting trying to keep up with all the runners and I felt bad for the ladies who took over after me. I hope they did okay! We got home about 1:30/2 in the morning. I *might* volunteer again if I could choose a water station. I think that would be a whole lot easier and less stressful. Thanks though to my friend Ashley who got us involved. It was an experience to learn and grow from (as Sis Nance in the W2 ward would say. hehe)

No comments: